
Ten years later, it’s not just a news story!
There comes a time in life when news loses its relevance of being either good or bad. News becomes a reference point to reflect back upon all that occurred in one’s life whilst the news was in making. Osama Bin Laden’s death news took 10 years in the making and today while some celebrate and others renew their vow towards Jihadi destruction; I find it all too personal.
10 years huh! Osama touched my life in more ways than I could have ever imagined. Still remember the day in Bangalore when the first news of the aircraft crashing into the twin towers percolated in our office. Rush to view news footage in my boss’s hotel room and collectively worry about the future of the world and our company over large pegs of Old Monk rum. We couldn’t even imagine the full extent of the impact in the next 1-2 years forget about the 10 years gone by. I still remember immediate pull back of new product launches and the layoffs that followed in my organisation soon after. This was hailed as a great move by the industry veterans; they all copied and did something equally silly in the short term. We never tire of being unimaginative in the short term do we? Would we have imagined in 10 years time the world would not bother about our quick move? The answer is a NO, we just couldn’t imagine beyond what America was stating – War on Terrorism! Let’s ride out the war years….
Personally at home I was doing my own share of silly things, in and out of relationships, getting married, changing jobs and such all while Osama was always in the news backdrop and world grappling with war on terrorism. But Osama never was just a news backdrop was he? He ensured I stayed without my share of Rossogolla, misti doi, Ilish maach sorshey bata (hilsa curry with mustard paste) from Kolkatta (they didn't allow my mom to carry them in flights inspite of her best assurances that they wouldn't blow up), shampoo packs while travelling and lost my sleep and mind while trying to catch an early morning flight. I had to learn to live while expecting the worst attacks - in the train I was travelling in, the mall I visited or the busy roads of Mumbai where I parked my car. Burkha and long beard made me uncomfortable, and I tried my best to avoid thinking about the hand that made my authentic kebabs so delicious. Osama ensured he distorted my life in every way possible.
This I refuse to acknowledge as just ‘news’ and debate implications as editors and TV anchors are busy doing. I will not make that mistake again. To me this is personal!While we were always aware of the possible outcomes of the manhunt for world’s most feared person, we could never have been more surprised with what changed in our lives in the mix.
No comments:
Post a Comment