Thursday, April 30, 2009


Main aur meri jeans

I am not scared to admit at this stage in my life that I have a deep and profound relationship with my clothes. Being a man it might sound a bit weird, almost metrosexual. But for all of you reading this blog update please note its more than that, it gets deeper from here on.

Started in the early years of my life I quickly figured I could only have deep relationships with a few from the wardrobe; and few meant really few. Considering growing up year’s pre economic liberalization meant words like frugality had great importance for my folks J

That single pair of jeans or that one shirt would become my entire wardrobe, trying on something new before visiting relatives would always be fraught with apprehension and sure shot fashion disaster for me. Unfortunately I had to live by rules, not my own and itchy black shorts and red shirt might have complemented my skin color somehow left me feeling extremely exposed, completely clothed.

Teenage years had changed all that; the rebel in me decided enough was enough! This is the time to try out the new and fashionable. Unfortunately for me bollywood (which defined most of the fashion in our times) was stuck with strange formal wear for all occasions and pants that swayed in the breeze almost like a woman’s saree. Tried it, never liked any of it….and then I found comfort in my first regular Levis. Wow! what a feeling! The make, the touch, the feel, the fit….still remember my special jeans for all occasions. Everything starting dates, cricket, dinner, parties, college, movies in those faded pair; it was my second skin. And then almost like shedding, one day the frayed to bits pair on me was lost in time.

I had moved into adulthood! Jeans somehow never fit that well in this world and on me; let’s not get into the 92 kilo AB pack I had put on! But somehow office rejected my jeans wear, lounge bars seemed to distance me from my favorite skin treatment, and I was thrown into accepting rules not my own again.

But like any good relationship or marriage, I stayed true…kept pushing the boundaries of office wear, lounge wear, party wear and what have you. Now I am proud to say my life is complete…my frayed pairs are back on the top 3 list. Maybe because of my obsessive nature of seeking out the topmost from my list that today all my experiments with life somehow happen with me in my frayed pair! I have realized the truth about life is in staying true to not what you choose to be but maybe it’s about what chooses you. To put differently; it’s not what suit you wear, it’s about what suits you that matters the most!

No comments: